Monday, February 23, 2009


Shortly after Molly's death a friend called to tell me about a white percheron. This horse's owner had done weddings with him, but now he needed to sell. When I went to see this horse he was exactly the romantic, "old style" percheron that Molly had been- not too tall, a deep barrel chest and strong, feathered legs.
Only time would show what a marvelous personality this horse has too. Like Molly, he has a sense of the dramatic, and knows he looks good. There is nothing to compare with driving a horse who partners with you, as if to say, "let's show them what we've got". I have had horses who generally do as I ask, but whose heart is just not in the social aspect of the job, meeting people is just not their thing.
I brought Curley to Seaview farm in Rockport, where he could enjoy a huge pasture with a herd of other horses. I spent a lot of time out there mingling with them, letting my sorrow for my loss fade, and making a new place in my heart to love this new horse. A horse out in front of my carriage has to KNOW that I love it and will do whatever it takes to keep us safe. Anything less is asking for an accident or runaway.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home